Re: What package contains the time daemon?

Am 26.07.2015 um 15:39 schrieb Vincent Lefevre:
> On 2015-07-26 14:25:20 +0100, Brian wrote:

>>> So ntp won't actually harm anything.  It is just unnecessary.
>>
>> It is necessary to purge it if you want to use systemd-timesyncd. If you
>> prefer to use ntp instead of systemd-timesyncd it is not unnecessary.
>
> Can't the systemd configuration be changed without having to purge
> ntp (e.g. to be able to switch between them easily)?

You are right, having ntp installed doesn't necessarily mean it is
actually enabled. But I would assume for most users this is the case.

The Conditions were added to prevent multiple NTP clients being started
at the same time.
If you want to get rid of those start conditions, you can easily do that.

Run
$ mkdir /etc/systemd/system/systemd-timesyncd.service.d/
$ touch
/etc/systemd/system/systemd-timesyncd.service.d/disable-with-time-daemon.conf
$ systemctl daemon-reload

This will create an empty file which overrides the distro provided
disable-with-time-daemon.conf

Long term, we want ntp to ship a native service file which has
Conflicts=systemd-timesyncd.service
This way, only if ntp is installed *and* ntp.service is enabled, it will
make sure an enabled systemd-timesyncd.service will not be started.

In jessie and sid, ntp does not yet ship a native service file. That's
why we chose to add those Conditions. Consider those a temporary workaround.

HTH,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?