Re: Help-Install not compatible with my PC

On Fri 24 Jul 2015 at 15:05:59 -0400, Whit Hansell wrote:

> On 07/24/2015 02:55 PM, Gary Dale wrote:
> >On 24/07/15 02:11 PM, Chris wrote:
> >>Hi,
> >>I've looked every where but cant find anything other than people
> >>saying try the net install I've tried the net install and it
> >>still has the same problem. The problem is when the installer
> >>gets to Detect and mount CD-Rom it keeps saying no common cdrom
> >>how can I mount my cdrom and tell the install where it is. It
> >>boots and I can see the drive in /dev/disk/by-id I've tried
> >>putting this in when it asks where the cdrom is to no avail.
> >>please help sorry if this is not formatted well my good keyboard
> >>is on the machine I'm trying to install debian. I've tried
> >>installing older versions of debain as I saw someone say that
> >>the newer kernel doesn't support dell but that wouldn't work
> >>either.
> >>
> >>I'm trying to install Debian-8-from-DVD-and-tried-netinst
> >>on a DELL-optiplex-gx280, P4-1.6
> >>
> >>tx in advance
> >
> >If it's having trouble installing from CD, you can try installing
> >from USB stick instead. Debian makes it easy by having their .iso
> >files bootable from CD or USB. Just cp the .iso to the USB device
> >(not to a partition on it). e.g. if your USB stick shows up as
> >/dev/sdd1, cp the .iso to /dev/sdd (note the lack of partition
> >number). This will wipe out the entire stick, so make sure you
> >don't have anything important on it.
> >

> Just a thought.  Make sure your cd/dvd is the first item in the boot
> lineup of the BIOS.  IOW, go itno BIOS, go to boot  listing and set
> CD/DVD to the first in line then the HD second or after even the USB
> ports, if in the list.  HTH

This is a good piece of advice. But the only possible reason you think a
CD ROM is involved is because it is mentioned by the installer. Which
does not mean the OP used a CD.

The problem is that the installer doesn't know whether the image is on
a USB stick or a CD. Or, if it does, it doesn't inform the user. In
spite of many advancements in d-i it still deals in terms of CD-ROM.