alpine mail client with gmx.net as mail provider

Hi,

after a few weeks of settling i got my Debian 8.1 nearly into
the shape of its deceased predecessor (antique SuSE which died
from southbridge radiator pop-off due to material fatigue).

Two problems remain: alpine with mail provider GMX and /dev/sr1
trying to bite my fingers.

As for the first one:

I cannot get alpine mail client to send mail via mail.gmx.net:465.
It reports "Bad sequence of commands" which is probably SMTP error
503.
My own primitive SMTP client does work (by help of stunnel for SSL).

Does anybody have a alpine configuration which currently works via
SMTP with GMX (a major german mail provider) ?

Or proposals how to watch the SMTP traffic between alpine and
the SMTP server ?

Have a nice day :)

Thomas