Re: Fetchmail may almost be working in pop3.

Quoting Martin G. McCormick (martin@server1.shellworld.net):
> Paul E Condon writes:
> > I use msmtp, not exim, even though exim comes already installed by
> > Debian.  Msmtp has its own tiny config file which can be located at
> > ~/.msmtprc You can put there whatever you need to satisfy you ISP and
> > have no fear of exim mucking about with it. Of course, don't remove
> > exim once you see msmtp working. That would break you Debian
> > installation. Msmtp is a package in the main branch of all Debian
> > repositories.
>
> Thank you as I believe this will do the job much more
> intuitively than exim4.

If you were a mutt user, I would ask what msmtp buys you that mutt
can't do by itself. But I believe you're not, so this might well be a
good choice for you.

> Should I reset exim4 back to local
> delivery since it does still need to be able to handle squawks
> and status messages for cron jobs and other self-generated
> shreaks and howels (bells and whistles gone wrong).

Local delivery would be working already if you were using smarthost
rather than satellite in the first place. smarthost has the benefit
that you can retry exim any time you feel like it in future.
(I'm assuming you'll point your preferred MUA (mail client) at msmtp.)

> I never had a .mailrc file on this system before but it
> is going to have to know that sendmail is now msmtp. I looked at
> sendmail's link after installing msmtp and it still points to
> exim4 so nothing got changed system-wide.

If .mailrc is something to do with your MUA, then that's probably the
file to point at msmtp with. I don't have the documentation.

> msmtp --serverinfo now gives me a banner page from
> smtp.suddenlink.net listing capabilities. Interestingly, they
> list SSL ports in their documentation but the server says it
> can't do starttls. The banner page came in on port 25.

You might want to check out port 587 but I think you'll be disappointed.

But, you can still play with a hand-crafted email to test your
authentication on an encrypted port just by replacing one line.

Where it said:

$ openssl s_client -starttls smtp -crlf -connect smtp.suddenlink.net:587

substitute:

$ openssl s_client -connect smtp.suddenlink.net:465

The gobbledegook will be slightly different, ending up something like

    Start Time: 1437146188
    Timeout   : 300 (sec)
    Verify return code: 20 (unable to get local issuer certificate)
---
220 ....suddenlink.net ESMTP server ... ready ...

and typing:

ehlo something

will tell you, amongst the code 250 lines that you can use plain
authentication as in the example I posted before. So it looks like
that's the port (465) for you to use.

You won't want to set "tls_starttls on" obviously, but you may or may
not need to set "tls on" because port 465 can't work without it; it
pops up spouting gobbledegook already.

Cheers,
David.