Re: Mate desktop - was Re: Still unable to get external monitor wotking on Debian 6 - was Re: Unable to install nVidia driver on Debian 6 LTS - was - Re: How to boot without GUI

On 17/07/2015, Frank McCormick <debianlist@videotron.ca> wrote:

>> Also, whether a screensaver is available, like the screensaver in
>> gnome 2, that allows for the screensaver to be directed (for
>> displaying stuff while the screen is taken over by the screensaver) to
>> the Pictures directory, rather than one of the things like blobs
>> moving around the screen.
>>
>    Yes, the mate-screensaver does that...and more. However you'll need
> the GL extensions for the slideshow provisions. YMMV.
>
> Do an aptitude search for mate...and you'll find what's available.

Thank you for that.

I used Synaptic to find the GL stuff for the mate screensaver, and
install what I believe was needed (GL and GL-extras, or something like
that).

The system showed two screensavers (it appeared to be duplication, as
they both had the same icon and name in the System -> Preferences
menu), and I found that one of them was the xscreensaver, and the
other was the mate screensaver (I only found that it was the mate
screensaver, as Synaptic showed the mate screensaver to be installed
in addition to the xscreensaver), and the xscreensaver was the one
that was enabled. So I setup the mate screensaver, and set the
xscreensaver to not take effect until after 60 minutes of inactivity,
and, using the File menu within it, killed the xscreensaver daemon, so
it should not resume, at least until the system is rebooted. Without
uninstalling the xscreensaver, I do not know how to stop it being
enabled (so that, when the system is rebooted, it does not become
again enabled).

And now, I have a screensaver that brings up the files in my Pictures directory.

Thank you again, for that.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale