Re: the State of Linux Audio

Nicolas George writes:
> Le septidi 27 messidor, an CCXXIII, Lisi Reisz a e'crit :
> > How are you getting these useful error meassages if sound isn't
> working?  Did
> > oyu say atht you are sshing in from a working box?
>
> Usually, error messages are to be read on the screen. Martin wrote he ran
> commands and observed the output, we can deduce that the non-working sound
> cards are definitely not the only output device available on this
> computer.

Correct. There are ways to make them talk. I cheat by having a
separate computer that runs Linux with the speakup kernel so
that's how I get those messages. I also setup a serial console
on the system in question and use kermit to get in if the
network stack is not working on the target machine. You also get
most of those messages in /var/log/syslog or by running dmesg
and reading that output.

	There is a lot of repetitious stuff there, but some
times one will find a nugget of incite to solving a problem.

	That hasn't happened yet in this case but I plan to look
some more and force myself to read the really dull stuff that
happens after the plug-and-play routine finds the on-board audio
device. Somewhere, some way, that information is getting ignored
as one would expect an attempt to pull in the corresponding
kernel module which is not happening for some reason.

	If I find out something that is wrong, I will surely
share it with the list as this is really not good nor is it
progress.

Martin