Re: Initrd and USB Keyboard

Hello,
i was also fighting with the same issue after upgrading to newer kernel. The wiki https://wiki.debian.org/Keyboard#How_to_enable_USB_keyboard_in_initramfs helped me to figure out the problem. In short:
1. identify all kernel modules your USB keyboard is using/depends on
2. add those modules to /etc/initramfs-tools/modules file
3. run update-initramfs -u

For my Lenovo USB Compact keyboard following modules were necessary to add so that i was able to type LUKS password at boot using the keyboard:
usbcore
usb_common
usbhid
hid
ehci_pci
xhci_hcd
ohci_hcd
uhci_hcd
ehci_hcd
hid_generic
hid_lenovo

HTH,

Stano

On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 4:01 PM, Arno Schuring <aelschuring@hotmail.com> wrote:

> From: debian@alexkretschmer.de
> Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 14:44:14 +0200
>
> Hello,
> I have a system running raid1, dmcrypt and lvm2.
> Debian Version is jessie / stable
> My disks have a small partition for boot, the rest ist encrypted incl. the system.
> Therefore I'm forced to work with an initrd to at least build the raid, decrypt the 2nd partition and provide the virtual disks before the full system is able to boot.
>
> Unfortunately I can't get my USB Keyboard to work. Neither in a rescue shell nor to type the decryption password.

You probably are missing hid_generic. You need either that module or
evdev (iirc) for input (hot/cold)plugging to work. Even with those
modules, I still haven't been able to access the usb keyboard connected
through my laptop's docking station, though, so this may not be the
complete answer.

Regards,
Arno