Re: Fetchmail may almost be working in pop3.

David Wright writes:

A number of very good suggestions

> The other thing you could try is a handcrafted email, which takes
> about 5 minutes, by typing the following into a bash prompt:
>
> --------
> $ echo -e -n '\0martin.m@suddenlink.net\0SECRET' | base64
> aBase64stringIsEmitted=
> $ openssl s_client -starttls smtp -crlf -connect smtp.suddenlink.net:587
> ehlo hostname
> auth plain aBase64stringIsEmitted=
> mail from:martin.m@suddenlink.net
> rcpt to:<martin@shellworld.net>
> data
> subject: testing 587 with ehlo hostname...
>                                                          <--- the blank
> line between header and body
> text of message is any other info saying what parameters you used.
> .
> quit
> --------
>
> Cut and paste this at the prompts, having put in your password on the
> first line, and copied the resulting base64 string after auth plain.
> It might be worth doing all this in a script command, as there's a big
> block of garbage emitted when you enter the openssl line. Here's an
> edited example of what you I see when I do this:

Ah! more good things to try. I have, on occasion, manually
generated various messages in years past when tormenting
spammers so this would actually be a constructive use of this
sort of activity.:-) Scripts are perfect for this so one can
duplicate the same conditions or fix a minor syntax error
without having to re-do everything.
Again, many thanks.

Martin McCormick