Re: New user having trouble with new install

On 11/07/15 11:14 AM, Jonathan Levine wrote:
On 7/11/15, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

On Fri 10 Jul 2015 at 21:29:23 -0600, Jonathan Levine wrote:

I'm a hardware guy, and not a linux wonk, so I hope you'll all be
gentle and use words without too many syllables.

I've just completed the "small cd" internet install of the current
distribution on a small-footprint pc based on the VIA EDEN ESP
6000.  I went with all the defaults and it seemed to complete
uneventfully.  However, on boot it tanks with a "microcode: no
support for this CPU vendor" error.
We suppose "tanks" means "something very unexpected happened" but also
we need to know what you saw during the booting and how the machine
behaved.
Now that I'm fresh, it seems less obvious that the error I reported above
is what's killing it.  Here's the whole boot-to-crash process:

The GRUB bootloader splash screen appears, and after a few seconds
it proceeds to load the default, Debian GNU/Linux.  Then it homes the
cursor and says:

Then the screen clears (i.e goes back to text mode) and it reports:

[2.91457 (this number varies)] microcode: no support for this CPU vendor

Then it does some fscking, then:

[numbers] longhaul: option "enable" not set.  Aborting.

The screen clears again, sometimes - not always - the login prompt
appears for just a flash, then the machine evidently crashes - there's a
screen blank, a flash of random character data, another blanking, then
(after about a minute) what I suppose you folks would call a WSOD
appears - white screen, frowny face, "Oh no! Something has gone wrong.
A problem has occurred and the system can't recover.  Please contact a
system administrator" message.  And that's where it stays until I hit the
reset.

Jonathan

That almost sounds like a video driver problem. Are you running a gui?