Re: Tablet for Debian ?

On 07/10/2015 10:55 AM, Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI wrote:
Time has come to upgrade, for when I travel, from my trusty Asus
EeePC700 palmtop, and I am thinking of a tablet.

I only need something that will run Firefox, Skype and Google Earth.

Can anyone advise on a reasonably priced tablet that will run Debian
(or other flavour of Linux) ?

Cheers,

Ron.

I'm not going to be much help, but I'm going to watch this thread with interest. I'm doing some research on tablets for someone else, and the following matters have been considered:

1. touch only or pen only or both (really important consideration for the artist I'm doing the research for)

2. If pen is to be used, what type and capability? Battery on no battery? What level of touch sensitivity? (1024, 2048, etc.) Tilt sensitivity required?

3. Is the tablet only to be used standalone, or would it be preferred for it to be able to act as an input device for a more powerful workstation when at home / in office?

I'm guessing from the specifications you mentioned, you don't care about pens and the input tablet function. That probably means that just about any Android tablet will fill the bill, though you would be best off getting one with at least 2 GB if you're going to run Firefox and Skype on it.

Now that I've been at it for a while, I'm focusing mostly on the Wacom Hybrid Companion which can act as an input device on MacOS, Windows, and Linux (with a bit of fiddling). Might just leave Android on it if the artist can be satisfied to use the applications available for it when not at home. That device may not fit your definition of "reasonably" priced.

Funny thing about artists. Even the ones that don't make much money are willing to spend a butt-load of it on their tools.

As for me, I won't even use a smartphone. I've spent decades growling every time someone's finger comes near one of my screens. I think the whole touchscreen thing is going to go away soon. Like 3D movies. I hope.

Yours in humor,
Jape