to be rude or not (was: YAGF is a seriously screwed package)

Hi,

>On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 09:20:09AM +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:
>> On Friday 10 July 2015 06:33:44 Susmita/Rajib Bandopadhyay wrote:
>> > Dear Sirs,
>>
>> You'll get further if you don't start your posting being rude to half of us.
>
> I was at first a bit shocked also: but on a second thought, I'm pretty certain
> that the post wasn't meant to be rude - just a kind of "language" (meant in a more informal way) issue.
>
> Always remember Hanlon's Razor[1] (a corollary of Postel's Principle[2], if you ask me).

Also remember what we consider to be polite is in some cultures to be considered as rude and vice versa.
In our cross culture classes we teach people about those to prevent "miscommunication".
Example 1: Oriental cultures do not like to say no, so they always say yes, but in a special way that means no ;-)
Example 2: In some African cultures it is RUDE to look at some while talking to them, they will look away, which WE consider rude.

And of course not everyone is as fluent in English (or Amarican, or Ausiespeak, or...) as a lot of us. And even though I have lived in the USA for about one year and talk, speak, write, read English a lot I still make mistakes that can give what I meant to write a whole new meaning. As I have discovered sometimes. ;-)

Bonno Bloksma
tio
university of applied sciences