xdg-open pain, how to use run-mailcap

Hey,

run-mailcap worked for me for years. For a while already, xdg-open
is being pushed, using .desktop files to direct what to do with URIs
and files.

I really don't want this. I don't want .desktop files and I don't
want to have to create underdocumented ini-style configuration just
to get my computer to do again what it always did: use run-mailcap,
which I can configure with simple text files and which continues to
do its job just fine and never needed replacement anyway.

Does anyone know of a trick to just tell xdg-open to get out of the
way?

Sure,

  dpkg-divert --divert /usr/bin/xdg-open.orig --local --rename /usr/bin/xdg-open
  ln -s run-mailcap /usr/bin/xdg-open

will work, but that seems a bit intrusive.

Any ideas?

--
 .''`.   martin f. krafft <madduck@d.o> @martinkrafft
: :'  :  proud Debian developer

"welcome to american airlines, sir. here's your avocado - remember to
 keep it turned on and with you at all times. please turn your luggage
 over to the armadillos for rootling."
                      -- http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/armadillos.txt