Re: Kernel message: `base address not set' at boot

On Tue, Jul 07, 2015 at 01:23:01PM +0100, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> On my old Pentiium III, at boot the following message appears:
>
> via686a 0000:00:04.4: base address not set - upgrade BIOS or use force_addr=0xaddr
>
> How can I eliminate it?

From the Kernel Documentation:
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/hwmon/via686a

Module Parameters
-----------------

force_addr=0xaddr       Set the I/O base address. Useful for boards that
                        don't set the address in the BIOS. Look for a BIOS
                        upgrade before resorting to this. Does not do a
                        PCI force; the via686a must still be present in lspci.
                        Don't use this unless the driver complains that the
                        base address is not set.
                        Example: 'modprobe via686a force_addr=0x6000'

So, if you need to set this (that is, if a BIOS upgrade is unavailable
or does not fix things), create a file /etc/modprobe.d/*.conf, with the
contents "options via686a force_addr=0xaddr" (where 0xaddr is an
appropriate value).