Mate desktop - appearances soaking up CPU time

I am running Mate desktop on an updated Debian Sid.

Today when I attempted to change themes, I noticed
nearly all the themes had big question marks on top
of theme in the appearances manager. In addition
when I tried to customize a theme all the windows
controls, icon themes etc all had question marks
over them.

Sorry forgot to mention that after running mate-appearances
it hangs around after being closed soaking up almost 100%
cpu time.