Re: RAID b/w GPT and NON GPT partition.

On Tue, 30 Jun 2015, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
> should i create partition 2 of a size of 1 GB. and make it as a boot
> partition and install grup on that partition. do you think performing
> these steps will do the job. or i have to more in order to boot my New
> 2TB GPT drive.

Just create a new partition before the 2048 sector to use as a grub
bios_grub partition.

For example:

sudo gdisk /dev/sda
p = print
n = new partition
number = 2
start sector = 34 (or as close to zero as you can get)
end sector = 2047
code = EF02

then

s to sort the partitions
and w to write it back to disk

then you should be able to run grub-install on the device.

When you have done this properly, you should see things like this:

$ for a in /dev/sd?; do sudo gdisk -l $a; done;
[...]
Disk /dev/sd?: 5860533168 sectors, 2.7 TiB
Logical sector size: 512 bytes
[...]
Total free space is 911 sectors (455.5 KiB)

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
   1              34            2047   1007.0 KiB  EF02
   2            2048      5860532223   2.7 TiB     FD00
GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 1.0.0

or similar.

You do *not* need a separate boot partition at all.

You are educated when you have the ability to listen to almost
anything without losing your temper or self-confidence.
 -- Robert Frost