Re: Slightly OT: SSD question

On Sun, 28 Jun 2015 20:16:58 +0300
Selim T. Erdoğan <selim@alumni.cs.utexas.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 02:40:31PM +0200, Petter Adsen wrote:
> > I know this isn't Debian-specific, but I hope someone can give me
> > some useful information here anyway, or point me to a better place
> > to ask.
> >
> > My SSD is dead, and I need a new one. Samsung seems to be a
> > generally recommended brand, but according to
> >
> > https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/e64f638483a21105c7ce330d543fa1f1c35b5bc7/drivers/ata/libata-core.c#L4109-L4286
> >
> > the 850 EVO does not support queued TRIM. Is that a problem for
> > everyday desktop use?
> >
> > The place I buy from has quite a limited amount of SSDs that fit
> > what I need, the only alternatives they have are a Kingston (that I
> > don't want) and a Crucial BX100 (that I know nothing about). Would
> > the Crucial drive be a better choice for a Jessie install?
> >
> > If anyone has any real-life experience with either of those drives
> > I'd be happy to hear about it.
>
> I think you're only asking about the Samsung and the Crucial, but
> since you mentioned Kingston, let me note my experience.  I have been
> using a 128GB Kinsgston SV200 S3 for ~2.5 years.  Performance is
> satisfactory: hdparm -t /dev/sda gives me ~215 MB/s.  (The laptop
> only has SATA-II.) My major complaint is that it gets pretty warm,
> and it is right under the palmrest, so using the laptop keyboard can
> get a little uncomfortable. (Not a killer for me, since I usually use
> a usb keyboard.)

Yes, well, my experience has been a bit different. I bought one 120GB
Kingston V300 in October/November and one in December, and by now they
have both died. Completely. They're not even detected by the BIOS.
Thank $DEITY for frequent backups.

I'll be ordering a new SSD today, and I think it will be the Samsung
850 EVO. The price difference between that and the Crucial is nearly
non-existent here, and it seems to have better overall performance in
the tests I have seen.

Thanks to all those who have replied, I now know a little more about
SSDs. :)

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"