Re: looking for a sound waveform viewer, but not audacity for reasons explained

On 06/28/2015 08:24 PM, Dan Hitt wrote:
Hi,

Could somebody please point me to a sound waveform viewer?

I'm aware of audacity, which is of course a very fine piece of
software.  But its function is more to edit than just to view.  So,
e.g., if you open a sound file, then it wants to create a project, and
when you want to exit you have to tell it not to save the project that
it created.

I would like to just have something that shows the waveform.

Ideally it would do other tasks connected with viewing, such as being
able to zoom to the sample level, give actual data readouts [sample
value, time, etc], and play nice with other software.  So it would be
nice, e.g., if you could pop it open at the command line and maybe
even have it scroll to some interesting point.  (It would also be nice
if it could play the wave form, but if it can't that's no deal
breaker.)

My vague recollection is that there used to be more than a dozen such
viewers, but i can't seem to track any down now.

Back in the day, all of the old mod-file "tracker" software included all of those bells and whistles, since everything was waveform based to start with. "Goattracker" is in the repos. "Milky Tracker has more features including direct handling of wav files and a wide variety of playback formats. This is probably the one to try. Ric
.

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html