Re: Slightly OT: SSD question

Petter Adsen:

> the 850 EVO does not support queued TRIM. Is that a problem for
> everyday desktop use?

No. It only means that TRIM commands must not be queued by the drive but
executed instantly (after clearing the existing commands in the queue, I
guess).  For desktop use this means that a weekly fstrim cronjob you may
have may block the system for a second.

I read about this topic as well because I also own a Samsung SSD (840
Pro) which is affected. I found the advice to disable Native Command
Queueing completely using this kernel parameter:

libata.force=noncq

… only to find out I was already using that setting for a reason I do
not remember anymore. It doesn't bother me.

Looking into it again, I find this tidbit in the changelog.Debian.gz of
linux-image-4.0.0-2-amd64:

| linux (4.0.5-1) unstable; urgency=medium
|
|   * New upstream stable update:
|       https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v4.x/ChangeLog-4.0.5
…
|     - libata: Blacklist queued TRIM on all Samsung 800-series

So with a kernel recent enough you are safe, even without
libata.force=noncq. I am currently trying it. :)

J.
--
I am on the payroll of a company to whom I owe my undying gratitude.
[Agree]   [Disagree]