Re: experimental.

On 2015-06-24 23:03, Sven Hartge wrote:
Weaver <weaver@riseup.net> wrote:

I have a spare unstable system that I was thinking of jumping up to
experimental to play with.  Is experimental strictly non-gui, or is
there a recommended light desktop that can sit on top?  Thanks for any
advice to this slow and ancient learner.

Experimental is no complete standalone suite like Jessie, Stretch or
Sid.

Experimental is an addon on top of Sid and has to be used in conjunction
with it.

Also you don't just install everything from Experimental, since many
packages in there are incomplete or broken or left-overs from past tests
or transitions.

If you run Sid you can enable Experimental and cherry-pick some packages
from there if you (or the DD) need to test something.

I for example have to use the Nvidia drivers from Experimental, because
the version in Sid is not compatible with my graphics card. But other
than that there are no packages from Experimental installed. And once a
working version of that package is uploaded to Sid, I won't need
Experimental at all.

So, conclusion: Experimental does not work the way you think it does and
one cannot "jump to experimental".

Right!
In that case, it sounds as though /etc/apt/sources.list is arranged differently then.
Any clues in regard to that?
TIA.
Cheers!

Weaver.

--
"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government."
 -- Thomas Paine

Registered Linux User: 554515