Re: KDE in Stretch unusable

On 2015-06-24 19:23, Gary Dale wrote:
I just upgraded from Jessie to Stretch. The dist-upgrade went smoothly
until I rebooted into the new system then things went wrong.

The first thing I noticed was that it complained when trying to start
up KDE. It said the kde-plasma-desktop was invalid (or similar) and
switched me into the default Gnome desktop.

Interestingly, I still had konsole so I used that to try to install
task-kde-desktop. That failed with dependency errors so I tried
lower-level kde packages and eventually got only a half-dozen packages
that needed installing for kde-standard. Once I installed them and
kde-standard, I was able to install the full task.

Except I couldn't start konsole or icedove when I rebooted and
selected kde as the desktop. Iceweasel started OK as did gkrellm (two
other things on my desktop session).

Trying the same tactic as before, I eventually got to trying to
install libgnutls-deb0-28. When I ask apt-get to install it however,
it decides it needs to remove pretty much everything kde and
libreoffice - 390 packages in all.

Any advice on how I should proceed other than abandoning kde?

I'm sorry, but it sounds as though your fingers might have slipped somewhere in the upgrade process. If it's as bad as you suggest, it sounds pretty much irreparable, and I should look at the gamble of ripping out the KDE base packages, forcing the complete deinstallation of KDE, then doing a new install of the KDE desktop, which should, hopefully, pick up your data in the process.

I offer no warranty.
Cheers!

Weaver.

--
"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government."
 -- Thomas Paine

Registered Linux User: 554515