Re: Re: forcedeth driver - bug?

Hi Tomas

On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 11:12:49PM +1200, Bruce Ward wrote:
Installing Jessie 8.1.0 on an Asrock N68-VGS3 FX motherboard. This
has "Giga PHY RTL8211CL" ethernet, which lspci reports as:
"00:07.0 Bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP61 Ethernet (rev a2)"

It uses the forcedeth driver module, which seems to need parameters
"msi=0 msix=0" to work. If I blacklist the driver, I can load it
with "modprobe forcedeth msi=0 msix=0" and all is fine. However, it
needs this after every reboot and I have not found a way to
successfully load the module automatically. Loaded automatically it
a) cannot connect to the network, and
b) locks the system solid if I try to unload it!

Is there some way over this problem or is this a bug? If a bug, who
should know about it?

Perhaps I'm not reading your mail correctly, but isn't that in the
realm of the modprobe.d configs?

- From the modprobe.d manpage:

    NAME
       modprobe.d - Configuration directory for modprobe

    SYNOPSIS
       /usr/lib/modprobe.d/*.conf

       /etc/modprobe.d/*.conf

       /run/modprobe.d/*.conf

    DESCRIPTION
       [...]

    COMMANDS
       [...]
       options modulename option...
           This command allows you to add options to the module
           modulename (which might be an alias) every time it is
           inserted into the kernel: whether directly (using modprobe
           modulename or because the module being inserted depends
           on this module.

           All options are added together: they can come from an
           option for the module itself, for an alias, and on the
           command line.

An entry "options forcedeth ms=0 msix=0" in some /etc/modprobe.d/foo.conf
should do thr trick, no?

Of course, perhaps you tried that already and I'm mis-interpreting
your question completely. Apologies if that's the case.

- -- t

No I have not (yet) tried everything! There may be something in a modprobe.d/foo.conf that could work.
I have tried putting the line
	forcedeth msi=0 msix=0
into /etc/modules as appeared to work for this Ubuntu user
but that didn't work for me. He did try
 a forcedeth.conf file to /etc/modprobe.d with the following contents:

options forcedeth msi=0 msix=0

But that doesn't do anything.

Regards, Bruce

--