Re: Moving from 56k modem

Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 11:03:47AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
My connectivity for ~3 decades has been at <= 56k.
Current ISP abandoning that market ;/

I do not wish DSL, cable, nor satellite as they restrict me to one physical
location.

You're in the US?

Yes

I'd suggest that a laptop with WiFi will work in urban areas fairly well - free
WiFi in coffee shops / malls / supermarkets / convenience stores etc.

Project Specification: Replace current 56k dial up modem with "object" connected via cell network. [P.S. my nephew who has been independent I.T. consultant for 20 yrs thinks I'm ??? ;]\\

It'll be useless outside those areas: home cable/DSL will normally come with
a Wifi router these days so a laptop / desktop will work with that.

I'm not sure whether any one of the US operators do the equivalent to FON -
free WiFi for home subscribers to their service who can then piggy back on the
service of any other subscribers

Mobile dongles are expensive and not good for relaible connectivity outside urban areas / areas
with really good mobile / "cell" coverage - though a
deal faster than 56k. I wouldn't want to use one to keep my system updated, for example.

If you've money, a satellite modem will work anywhere that isn't a Faraday cage where a
GPS might also work - but it is high cost bandwidth.

Hope this helps,

AndyC

I was assuming that meant connecting via cell network.
Is that correct?
What questions should I be asking?

Please note that I am strongly text, rather than graphics, oriented.

Comments &/or questions I should be asking.

Thank you.