Re: Debian don't detect blank (empty) DVDs

Hi,

On Wed, 17 Jun 2015 22:34:31 -0600
Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:

> Markos wrote:
> > My Debian Squeeze can read burned DVDs but doesn't detect blank DVDs,
> > so I can't burn iso images.
> > Any suggestion?
>
> When I ran into that very same problem the problem was the new media I
> bought.  There are only a very few manufacturers of blank media.  Be
> that as it may be at least with cd-r disks the laser parameters are
> mapped from the media manufacturer through known tables.  If I used
> older media that I had that worked previously then everything worked
> fine.  But if I tried to use the new media then I couldn't write them.
>
> The only solution I know is to upgrade the dvd writer.  But first you
> might try any older media that you still have hanging around.  If
> older media works but newer media does not then you likely have the
> same problem.
>
> If there was a way to upgrade the firmware of your dvd writer that
> would probably improve the situation too.

One thing you maybe should check before throwing away the drive is
that you might accidentally have bought the wrong media type for your
drive, i.e. DVD-R for a drive that supports only DVD+R or vice versa.

If that has been ruled out, maybe using Joerg Schilling's cdrtools
instead of debian's cdrkit could help. Some years ago I had a similar
problem with a drive which sometimes stopped halfway with weird error
messages when I tried to burn a CD with cdrkit, with cdrtools it worked
fine. Unfortunately due to licensing issues you would have to install
cdrtools manually, which is usually quite easy, but nevertheless...

Regards

Michael

Only a fool fights in a burning house.
		-- Kank the Klingon, "Day of the Dove", stardate unknown