Re: System not booting

On 17/06/15 02:42 PM, Peter Reid wrote:
Hello,

I recently rebooted my Debian 8 (Jessie) system, which I upgraded from Wheezy upon the release of Debian 8. I shutdown my system and restarted it, and the system does not appear to be 'booting'.

The system boots and responds to ping on both IPv4 and IPv6 interfaces, however no network facing services are starting (source: nmap); hence I cannot SSH into the server.

*_Current Attempts to fix:_*
I attempted to reboot once more (hard reboot from host control panel), that did not solve the issue. I have since rebooted into my provider's (SoYouStart by OVH) rescue mode, and have found some info in the logs that may be of use

*_System information:_*
Debian 8 ( had latest packages installed) - previously Debian 7
Processor: Intel Xeon(R) CPU W3520 @ 2.67GHz
RAM: 16096MB
HDD: 2 x 2000 GB in mdraid - RAID 1
MOBO: SuperMicro x8STI

_Logs_
I'm really stuck with this issue, the only log I can think to provide is dmesg, the last few lines are as follows:

[ 17.322135] Adding 523260k swap on /dev/sda4. Priority:-1 extents:1 across:523260k [ 17.323280] Adding 523260k swap on /dev/sdb4. Priority:-2 extents:1 across:523260k
[   17.360803] EXT4-fs (md2): re-mounted. Opts: (null)
[   17.589138] EXT4-fs (md2): re-mounted. Opts: errors=remount-ro
[   17.661897] loop: module loaded
[ 20.080560] EXT4-fs (md3): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)
[   25.899123] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
[ 29.069613] e1000e: eth0 NIC Link is Up 1000 Mbps Full Duplex, Flow Control: None
[   29.071646] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready

*_Moving forward_*
If any of you can be of assistance I would greatly appreciate it, I can provide log files upon request also. I would really like to get my system back on line as soon as possible, as I need it for my work next week.

Thanks,
Peter Reid

You can ping but not ssh. This suggests that services are not being started. dmesg confirms this as nothing is showing up after the network is brought up.

Since this seems to be a virtual machine, hooking up a monitor won't work. I had a similar problem on a real machine that seemed to be USB related and was fixed by upgrading to Jessie. In your case the reverse happened.

Try changing your VM's hardware settings, removing something not absolutely necessary one piece at a time until you find what is causing the boot to hang.