Re: Moving from 56k modem

Lisi Reisz wrote:
On Wednesday 17 June 2015 17:11:11 Mark Allums wrote:
On 06/17/2015 11:03 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
My connectivity for ~3 decades has been at <= 56k.
Current ISP abandoning that market ;/

I do not wish DSL, cable, nor satellite as they restrict me to one
physical location.

I was assuming that meant connecting via cell network.
Is that correct?
What questions should I be asking?

Please note that I am strongly text, rather than graphics, oriented.

Comments &/or questions I should be asking.

Thank you.

You want Cable or DSL *and* a mobile 3G/4G modem.  The wireless thing
will be severely restricted in the the amount of data you can move
through it.  Typically 5-6 GBs per month.

Richard is probably not going over that now at the speeds he is getting.

You are correct. I've done some spot checks. They all come in at an ESTIMATE of under 1GB/month. The stingiest data plan locally appears to be 2GB/month.

It will be expensive if you
go over the limit.  Cable or DSL will have drastically higher data caps,
and are more reliable generally.

"Unlimited" wireless exists in theory, but it is still restricted,
typically by throttling.

And what is coverage like in the USA?  Will you not still be "tethered" to
specific locations?  The places where there actually is a signal?  Or is
everywhere you would want it urban?

You're thinking in right direction, but my usage pattern should mitigate potential problems - there are personal rather than technological constraints.

Lisi