Re: Major bug with wired/wireless connections in Debian 7

Reco wrote:
> linuxthefish wrote:
> > auto lo
> > iface lo inet loopback
> >
> > auto eth0
> > iface eth0 inet static
> > address 172.16.0.4
> > gateway 172.16.0.1
> > netmask 255.255.0.0
> >
> > allow-hotplug wlan0
> > iface wlan0 inet static
> > wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant0.conf
> > address 172.16.0.5
> > gateway 172.16.0.1
> > netmask 255.255.0.0
>
> You're configuring a default gateway for both network interfaces, which
> is a big no-no, unless you know what you're doing. You also set IP
> addresses from the same network, and that is one of the best ways to
> have your host's IP routing going haywire.

Good observations!  I missed seeing both of those when I commented in
my response.  (I hang my head in embarrassment.)  Both are very
critical no-no's.  Both configuration problems should be avoided.

I wonder if those are clues as to why the reporter said that it needed
a cable plugged/unplugged?  Because I think that would rotate the
order of the default routes.  That might account for the odd behavior.

Bob