backuppc plus smbclient in jessie

Hi

I have an elderly machine which has been successfully running backuppc,
mainly with linux clients but including use of smb to backup Windows
hosts. I recently upgraded from squeeze to wheezy and found that
backuppc no longer worked correctly with smbclient: the backup
terminates with no warning or error messages after copying the first few
directories from a Windows C$ share; in particular it copies none of the
User directories. Googling convinced me there was a problem with the 3.6
series of smbclient when used with backuppc, and I upgraded from wheezy
to jessie to get the latest version of everything.

I still have the same problem. I'm now running  smbclient 4.1.7 and
backuppc 3.3.0-2. The bug description in reports like:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/backuppc/+bug/1381494

still seem to describe my symptoms. The suggestion in that particular
bug report is to downgrade smbclient to 3.5, which I'm reluctant to do
as I'm using debian to minimize my maintenance, and don't actually know
how to run old versions of software without creating a maze of
dependency problems... Has anyone else run into this problem and found a
solution other than going back to really old software versions?

Thanks

Graham