HP printer not added

I upgraded Wheezy to the latest version 7.8.0. Actually I had to reinstall it since the keyboard and mouse quite working and I was unable to log in even in recovery. Anyway, I got it back up and running and I tried to use my printer. I have a cheapy HP 1000 and it worked fine before.

When I try to add it the software comes up with the right model and then when I try to add it it gives the message that it cannot add it. I have tried it several times and checked that the software for HP is installed and it is there. Is there a problem with cups? or is it me.

Thanks
Maureen