Re: Resizing partitions on a headless server

On 14/06/15 09:12 AM, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
csanyipal@gmail.com a écrit :
Hello,

on my headless Debian GNU/Linux Jessie server I want to resize
partitions.
Why ? The use of LVM should avoid the need to resize partitions (PVs).

root@b2:~# e2fsck -f /dev/mapper/bubba-storage
e2fsck 1.42.12 (29-Aug-2014)
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information
Bubba_home: 114439/59703296 files (0.4% non-contiguous), \
4001648/119386112 blocks

At this step I think I forgot to run again:
root@b2:~# resize2fs -p /dev/mapper/bubba-storage 20G

root@b2:~# lvresize --size 2.1G /dev/mapper/bubba-storage
   Rounding size to boundary between physical extents: 2.10 GiB
     WARNING: Reducing active logical volume to 2.10 GiB
       THIS MAY DESTROY YOUR DATA (filesystem etc.)
       Do you really want to reduce storage? [y/n]: y
         Size of logical volume bubba/storage changed from 455.42 GiB
   (116588 extents) to 2.10 GiB (538 extents).
     Logical volume storage successfully resized

Furthermore, I was wrong when I determined the --size to 2.1G in the
command abowe, because I wanted to write 20.1G instead.
The bad news is that you probably screwed the filesystem. LVM provides
flexibility over plain partitions, but at the cost of complexity and is
less tolerant to such a mistake.

With a plain partition, all you would have to do to fix the mistake is
to extend the reduced partition (not the filesystem) to its original
size. However, with LVM, if you extend a reduced LV to its original
size, nothing guarantees that it will use the same physical blocks as
before. You can try, but it may not restore the filesystem's integrity.
Run fsck to check the damage.

Edit : check in /etc/lvm/backup for a metadata backup of the previous
situation of the VG "bubba". Using it to restore the LV is beyond my
knowledge, but if your data is important and you don't have a backup
(sounds like an oxymoron), my advice is don't touch anything until you
find how to restore the LV. Otherwise, just extend the LV and recreate
the filesystem on it.

Now what can I do to correct the partitions?
There is no partition to correct. The problem is in the LV bubba/storage
and its filesystem.

If you read the original post, it looks like the e2rsize failed. Therefor the only problem is the partition table is wrong.