Re: Cinnamon crashing on Stretch

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 08:15:03AM -0700, Paul Anzel wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm currently running Debian Stretch* and ran the usual apt-get
> update/upgrade yesterday. Subsequently, when I tried rebooting my
> machine Cinnamon keeps on crashing, giving me a prompt to go into
> Fallback mode (and if I tell it to restart Cinnamon, it just keeps on
> giving me the prompt again and again).

AIUI, Cinnamon will drop to fallback mode if it's unable to use the 3D
rendering capabilities of your graphics card. So, I'd look at
/var/log/Xorg.0.log to see if there are any Warnings (WW) or Errors
(EE).

> I tried uninstalling Cinnamon and then reinstalling it, and the problem
> persists.
>
> Is anyone else having this problem? Do I just need to wait a few weeks
> for the next upgrade (and try some other GUI), or is there something
> else I can do?

This being testing, if it IS a broken package, the fix could appear any
time from a few hours later (when the fix is obvious) to a few months
(when it's a fiddly one and the developer doesn't have enough tuits).