Re: Disable startup services on Debian 8

On Tue, Jun 09, 2015 at 10:44:25AM +0200, Danny wrote:
> Hi guys,

(Not all of us are guys. Why exclude a significant portion of the
community?)

> Recently one of the harddrives on my main Debian v7 backup server failed due to
> multiple power failures where I live. The power failures and spikes also fried
> the UPS's connected to the server.
>
> Along with the Debian v7 backup server I have smb servers (x4) running Debian v3
> (why fix it if it ain't broken ;) ) 2x proftpd servers running Debian v3 ;) one
> Apache,Squid3 server on Debian v7.
>
> I bought a new harddrive and installed Debian v8 on it
> (which I regret). Nothing in Debian v8 seems to work together. After removing/purging all
> traces of bloatware (gnome/KDE etc etc) from the default install I configured
> and setup all necessary servers/daemons and stuff I need to re-instate the
> server to it's former glory.
>
> My problem is this though: hostapd used to work flawlessly on Debian v7 but now
> it does'nt. It complains that it cannot load the nl80211 driver (I know that the
> nl80211 driver is referenced by cfg80211/mac80211 which comes up on lsmod). But still, hostapd cannot
> load the driver. I removed ALL references/files/configs to wicd/Network-Manager
> and seemingly other files that could interfere with hostapd or that can prevent
> hostapd from bringing up wlan0.
>
> However, when I peeked into rc0/1/2/3/4/5/6.d (in an attempt to see what
> startups could possibly interfere) I was astounded at the amount of
> crap that is started up by Debian v8. (Devuan looks better day by day ;) )
>
> Now, before I ditch my beloved Debian (hello Devuan or [INSERT OTHER
> DISTRIBUTION HERE]) could someone for the love of doughnuts and beef jerky tell
> me which services/daemons/crap I can disable ... PLEASE!!!! ... I am too scared
> to randonly disable stuff for fear of a Drone Strike as punishment  for my insubordination and
> refusal to accept SystemD ... ;(
>
> Can I disable

If you're modifying rc[2-5].d, then yes, you can disable services.
Runlevels 2 to 5 are the "Multi-User" runlevels and it's expected that
administrators will modify these to suit their needs (for example, you
might disable the display manager in runlevel 2, but keep it in runlevel
5 to emulate RedHat-like behaviour).

systemd will use the information in rcN.d as part of its startup.

I would tread carefully in rc{0,1,6}.d, though, as these are special
runlevels. That's not to say DON'T alter them, just tread carefully
(i.e. keep backups).

> the user.slice stuff?

A .slice is basically a partition in the systemd resourcing model. All
processes started by (or on behalf of) a user will be part of their
slice. A slice can impose quotas, limits etc.

Suggestion: Don't Touch.

> acpid.path/service/socket

If you don't use the facilities of ACPI (e.g. responding to the power
button, responding to power/temperature events), or you have a system
that's not ACPI-capable, then you can safely disable this service.

> avahi (which I disable but miraculously re-appears)

I don't use this myself, so can't opine.

> bootmisc.sh

This script performs the following tasks:
 * Optionally delay login until the system is fully ready
 * "Create /var/run/utmp so we can login"
 * "Remove bootclean's flag files"

Suggestion: Don't Touch.

> dbus.*

DBus is a system message bus. It is used by many tools (including
systemd, Gnome etc)

Suggestion: Don't Touch - Better to use the package manager to attempt
to uninstall. Once you have eliminated everything that requires dbus,
then you can remove dbus safely.

> emergency.*
> hibernate.*

These targets are only called as necessary. If you never hibernate your
machine or never enter emergency mode, they will never be called. You
COULD remove them, but A) you save only a handful of bytes, B) you
remove the possibility of using them (emergency may be particularly
useful) and C) they do nothing unless called.

Suggestion: Don't Touch.

> all the mount.this and mount.that stuff?

No. Running a system without a mounted filesystem of any sort is an
exercise in pain (and well beyond the scope of Debian).

Suggestion: Don't Touch

> network.omline
> network.target
> network.pre-target

These are required to bring up the network. Even if your machine is
standalone, they will bring up the internal loopback interface upon
which many services (such as X) rely.

Suggestion: Don't Touch.

> remote.*
> rescue.*

These are similar to emergency and hibernate. See the discussion there.

One final point. If, as you implied earlier, these files are in
/etc/rc[0-6].d, then all my earlier explanations are moot. Almost all of
these files are systemd-specific and should not be in the common area of
/etc/rc[0-6].d. That said, if they ARE there, the init system will
ignore them and they're not causing any harm (save for a bit of
clutter).

> And finally ... how do I disable SystemD at boot and if that cannot be done
> maybe something simpler ... how do I disable Debian v8 at boot??? Any ideas???

To disable systemd at boot, you need to supply an alternative init
system. The debian wiki suggests that "apt-get install -y sysvinit-core"
should suffice.

Similarly, to boot without booting Debian v8, you need to supply an
alternative operating system. See that operating system's manual for
installation procedures.

> I want my Debian Back the way it Was !!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want Debian 7, stay with Debian 7. You may find
https://wiki.debian.org/LTS of use.