Re: multitouch / touchscreen support in Debian

On 6/7/2015 11:26 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
On 06/08/2015 12:47 AM, Frank Loeffler wrote:

My question is mainly in which direction I should look. Google wasn't
particularly helpful, as most hits point to Ubuntu (no, I don't want to
switch to Ubuntu). The recommended solution there seems to be either
Unity, or a tool called touchegg, which doesn't appear to exist in
Debian, nor seems someone interested in it. The only time someone asked
here about it doesn't have a solution or useful pointer.

You have to give the Devil his due. Unity might be the only Linux Desktop that lends itself to touch interface. If you have the harddrive space, maybe create another partition and install Ubuntu/Unity. Let us know what happens, as touch screens are the next thing. Ric

Don't have a touch screen to play with, but this arch linux page makes it sound like there is a chance you only
need to have the hid multitouch driver for the device level support.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Multitouch_Displays

From here ...

http://askubuntu.com/questions/452159/ubuntu-14-04-multi-touch-screen-support

Looks like Chromium has a pinch option ....

chromium --enable-pinch
That would at least be a way to see that multitouch is working.

This page indicates there is an extension 'grab and drag' that provides scrolling support for Firefox/Iceweasel.

https://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/799669-how-to-configure-a-touchscreen-on-linux

Looks like 'geis' is avaialable in Debian...

https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=libgeis&searchon=all&suite=stable&section=all

Looks like Ubuntu is leading the charge here, so probably want to check what they use, what is in Debian,
what might be able to be compiled to work with the stuff that is in Debian....

https://launchpad.net/canonical-multitouch

Looks like you might be able to get touchegg to compile against Debian libraries...

http://packages.ubuntu.com/source/vivid/touchegg

Later, Seeker