Broadcom b43 drivers

OK, I probably have my system all messed up.  Here's the sequence of events:
Discovered errors with the nouveau driver (I'm using NVIDIA GeForce 7130 chipset) and did some research, nvidia-detect recommended the legacy 304xx driver, so I followed all the instructions on the wiki for installing said driver.  This broke the system.  X would not start, I have only command line.

Not being really up to speed on everything needed to fix the system, and having tried several thing to no avail, I boot to rescue mode, using the installer environment so that previous root is not mounted.  I deleted everything, except /root and /home, wherein I have data I do not want to lose, in order to start with a basically clean slate.

I download and burn the jessie net-install CD and boot to that and install jessie.

My broadcom wireless (using the BC4321 AG chipset) will not come up.  This is not unexpected, there is no firmware installed as of yet for that NIC.

I follow all of the instructions on wiki for obtaining the firmware and installing it to bring the card up (which worked in a previous incarnation of the system).  The card still will not come up.

I pulled out the old driver I was using which I got from broadcom, and had installed it in the past to get everything working.  I attempted to install it using the instructions provided with the driver (which had worked in the past). The card still will not come up.

I do an lspci | grep Network command and the controller does show up (03:00.0).

What the devil am I doing wrong, and how do I get my wifi adapter back??  Note that I had used the firmware-b43-installer package in a past jessie incarnation and it worked great.

--
JM