Re: httpd virtual package

Anatoly A. Kazantsev wrote:
> P.S: I'm not on the list, please keep me CCed

> I have installed lighttpd (same for nginx) on stable/testing,
> but it doesn't provide httpd virtual package.

But it did.  It showed as "Provides: httpd" in your data.  That is how
it provides that virtual name.

> Provides: httpd, httpd-cgi

There it is. :-)

What are you missing that you are expecting to see?  I have not used
Lighttpd but I do use Nginx and like it and could answer questions
concerning the use fo it.

> $ aptitude show httpd
> No current or candidate version found for httpd

The "aptitude show" command shows information about a package name.
The httpd name is not a package name.  Therefore aptitude does not
show it.

> Same result from apt-cache:
> $ apt-cache show httpd
> N: Can't select versions from package 'httpd' as it is purely virtual
> N: No packages found

Same thing for apt-cache.  However apt-cache tells you it is a pure
virtual name and not a package and no packages named httpd are found.
I think that is a little nicer.

> I'll post some other information if you need it. This is my first time on
> debian-user@lists.debian.org

Welcome to the mailing list!  I have CC'd you as requested.  Good job
on making that request.  The default otherwise would be to reply only
to the mailing list.

Bob