Workaround for making qt4 work with alsa

Hello Debian users,
    recently I encountered a bug in a qt4 application [1]. With the help
of irc user jm_ I found that qt4 doesn't work with alsa [2] (at least
on jessie).

This is evident when you try to run

    user@machine:/usr/lib/qt4/demos/qmediaplayer/./qmediaplayer

(from qt4-demos), which outputs

    [08502878] pulse audio output error: PulseAudio server connection
               failure: Connection refused
    [08502878] core audio output error: no suitable audio output module

I guess I am not the only alsa user being bitten by this, so I wonder if
any of you came up with a viable workaround to make qt4 work with alsa
again on jessie.

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=787442
[2] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=740451