Re: Old Computers

On 06/02/2015 08:11 PM, Jose Martinez wrote:

On 06/02/2015 10:08 PM, Celejar wrote:
On Tue, 2 Jun 2015 16:46:17 +0100
Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tuesday 02 June 2015 16:28:30 lostson wrote:
On Tue, 2015-06-02 at 16:07 +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:
On Tuesday 02 June 2015 14:55:51 Sven Arvidsson wrote:
On Mon, 2015-06-01 at 21:14 -0500, Jose Martinez wrote:
Hmm, that is a little disappointing.  But, I can probably run
Squeeze. Nothing like stone knives and bear skins!:-)
I think even squeeze would be a challenge (maybe a fun one though!)
when it comes to ram and disk space.

But there's always vintage operating systems for vintage computers :)
I thought of DSL.  But it needs an i486. :-(
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=damnsmall

Lisi
  How about Tiny Core Linux

http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/faq.html#req
Needs i486. :-(
Ah, nostalgia. I learned linux using BasicLinux, which is still around,
and will apparently run on a 386:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/baslinux/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BasicLinux

I still remember that incredible feeling, some many years ago, when I
put the floppy into a Windows box, rebooted, insmod'd the relevant
ethernet driver module, brought the network up, and had an actual
working networked *nix terminal ;)

Yeah, there's nothing like making an antique useful. I remember the days of the PDP-11 running *nix....What I wouldn't give to come up with one of those old things!!

Lisi
Celejar

My first programming class, back in 1976 was on a PDP-11. Those were the days. Bootstrap with physical toggle switches on the box to enter the binary code.

Marc