Re: Old Computers

On Mon, 01 Jun 2015 23:39:15 -0400
Gary Dale <garydale@torfree.net> wrote:

> On 01/06/15 10:10 PM, Martin Read wrote:
> > On 02/06/15 01:56, Jose Martinez wrote:
> >> The question is, will jessie install and run on these old systems?
> >> If not, can I still get a debian distro that will?  I expect that
> >> the processors on at least one of them will be at least i386 or
> >> better, so I also expect that jessie will install and run, but
> >> that my main problem will be with drivers for the legacy
> >> peripherals.
> >
> > https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch02s01.html.en says:
> >
> > "However, Debian GNU/Linux jessie will not run on 486 or earlier
> > processors. Despite the architecture name "i386", support for
> > actual 80386 and 80486 processors (and their clones) was dropped
> > with the Sarge (r3.1) and Squeeze (r6.0) releases of Debian,
> > respectively. The Intel Pentium and clones, including those without
> > an FPU (Floating-Point Unit or math coprocessor), are supported.
> > The Intel Quark is not supported, due to hardware errata. "
> >

> Where you will also find problems is with various distros that
> supposedly support Pentiums but that require PAE, which is missing
> from a lot of them.
>
> Another huge issue is finding a windowing system that will be
> lightweight enough to run in the memory older Pentium-based computers
> are likely to support.

Look around and see if you can find a copy of fvwm 1.24r - I ran that
for years on a 386 with little RAM without any problems. Version 2 is a
little heavier, but you can compile it yourself and leave out options
you don't need, like pixmap support for the titlebars etc.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"
"Are you sure?"