Re: Old Computers

On 06/01/2015 09:10 PM, Martin Read wrote:
On 02/06/15 01:56, Jose Martinez wrote:
The question is, will jessie install and run on these old systems? If
not, can I still get a debian distro that will?  I expect that the
processors on at least one of them will be at least i386 or better, so I
also expect that jessie will install and run, but that my main problem
will be with drivers for the legacy peripherals.

https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch02s01.html.en says:

"However, Debian GNU/Linux jessie will not run on 486 or earlier processors. Despite the architecture name "i386", support for actual 80386 and 80486 processors (and their clones) was dropped with the Sarge (r3.1) and Squeeze (r6.0) releases of Debian, respectively. The Intel Pentium and clones, including those without an FPU (Floating-Point Unit or math coprocessor), are supported. The Intel Quark is not supported, due to hardware errata. "

Hmm, that is a little disappointing. But, I can probably run Squeeze. Nothing like stone knives and bear skins!:-)

--
JM