Re: Skype video question

On Mon, Jun 01, 2015 at 01:22:49AM +0200, Kailash Kalyani wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 12:49 AM, Haines Brown <haines@histomat.net> wrote:
>
>     I used to run skype without a problem, but now when someone calls, they
>     can hear and see me. I can hear but cannot see them.
>
> Try this:
>
> LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libv4l/v4l1compat.so /usr/bin/skype
> src: https://wiki.debian.org/skype

I am in video group, lib4l-0 library is installed and I replaced the line
Exec=skype %U with the line
Exec=LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libv4l/v4l1compat.so /usr/bin/skype %U
in /usr/local/applications/skype.desktop.

No luck. When I try to establish a connection, the interface still comes up
with the camera icon crossed out. I assume that this icon should not be
crossed out at any time, even before contact is made.

I notice that besides the crossed out video camera, to the left of the
interface is the IM symbol. Does this mean that the communication mode
I'm trying to establish is IM, not video? Under General Options, enabled
is call rather than chat.

I notice now that the contact with whom the problem first came up has a
little blue video camera icon to the far right in my list of
contacts. That icon is missing for another contact. What does this icon
mean?