Re: Inexpensive Laptop for Debian

On Fri, 2015-05-29 at 19:03 -0500, John Aten wrote:
> I see that Dell offers the Inspiron 14 or 15 3000 series non-touch
> laptop with Ubuntu preinstalled; this model is around the price/spec
> range that I would like. I figure, if it runs Ubuntu, then this is
> possibly a good indication that I could install Debian;

I haven't found exact specifications, but I think that the Dell/Ubuntu
offerings have Nvidia graphics, and that means you're stuck with either
proprietary drivers or not-so-well-supported reverse engineered drivers.

If you're not looking for high-performance graphics Intel is usually the
safe choice. And try to avoid any systems with dual/switchable graphics.

You might consider buying a used or refurbished system. Good support
usually takes time to develop, so if you want everything to work on a
brand new system you might want to run the latest kernel, latest X and
Mesa, don't have to be afraid to try patches, file bug reports and
feedback.

If you plan on running a stable release of Debian, a slightly older
system is probably not a disadvantage.

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson