Re: Inexpensive Laptop for Debian

On 30/05/15 17:31, Reco wrote:
>> If you buy a Dell with Windows 7 installed on it, you'd better try and use Windows to shrink the partition and make room for Linux.
> … You just by an extra 3.5'' form-factor disk and replace the stock
> one. Next you install Debian at the new disk, and keep the old one in
> case you need your notebook repaired.

3.5" or 2.5"?  I thought only "desktop replacements" had 3.5" drives.

I think I did similar with the Panasonic I have, bought a new 1TB to
replace the 500GB drive and a 2.5" drive case.  Loaded fresh 64-bit
Windows 7 and Gentoo onto the 1TB drive (the OEM image was 32-bit Win7)
and kept the original disk external.

I think it wound up being reformatted and used as an off-site backup
drive for my web server in the end when one of my existing disks for
that purpose developed faults.

So there is merit in that suggestion: you get an external HDD that you
can use in the meantime and an upgrade at the same time.
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
  ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.