Re: Inexpensive Laptop for Debian

On 30/05/15 10:03, John Aten wrote:

>   Hey all,
>

>   I would like to see if anyone could give some advice or opinions on
>   getting an inexpensive laptop to run Debian. I plan to use the machine
>   for lighter duty functions; writing, web browsing, programming, etc.
>   Basically, I am looking for something with a little more muscle than a
>   Chromebook. Most laptops that I have seen that come with Debian or
>   other distros preinstalled seem to be more expensive than I would
>   like, so that of course leaves me installing it myself. I have
>   researched this, and can never seem to find solid information on the
>   laptops that are currently available; the information is usually a
>   little dated.
>
> I have some experience setting up Debian and other distros, but if there
> are problems with hardware configuration, I get out into the deep end
> fast. I would like to avoid any problems that are beyond the reach of my
> very modest skills.

I don't recall the full specifications but my father's laptop recently
started showing signs of failure so I bought what looked to be the
closest equivalent, a Toshiba Satellite L50.

http://www.umart.com.au/umart1/pro/Products-details.phtml?id=&id2=66&bid=2&sid=191907&Toshiba%20SATPro%20L50%20PSKTBA-001001%20L50%20i5-4210U,%2015.6

The rough specs:
- Intel Core i5 4210U
- 4GB RAM (takes low-voltage DDR3)
- 750GB HDD

It came pre-loaded with Windows 7 Pro and had Windows 8.1 discs in the
box.  One thing I found though was that the Windows resize tool wouldn't
let me shrink the OS image down to make room for a separate D:
partition.  So I network-booted the thing into Ubuntu 12.04 to use
gParted.  This worked fine, and on rebooting and doing a disk check,
Windows 7 was happy too.

Under Ubuntu I was able to try the machine out a little:
- Wifi was Atheros-based and JustWorked.
- I think the machine features two GPUs, an Intel one and an AMD Radeon
one, the Intel one JustWorked, I didn't try any serious 3D stuff that
would call on the other.
- Ethernet of course worked too (otherwise it'd have trouble network
booting)

Everything seemed to be doing as advertised.  The worst case I'd imagine
would be having to download non-free firmware for the wifi, but it
otherwise worked with standard drivers on the Ubuntu LiveCD.  I don't
see Debian as being a particular problem.

The only downside with this machine, and it was a big disappointment was
the build quality seems to have suffered a bit with the race to the
bottom.  I bought an 8GB RAM module to up it to 12GB (the previous
machine had 8GB total, so I thought I'd either equal or better it).

There's no dedicated hatch for HDD or RAM.  To get at the RAM slot, you
have to take out 12 (I think?) screws and release 4 hidden catches to
remove the *entire* bottom panel.  Out of the box (before I opened it)
the machine rattled a bit: on opening the box I found a loose screw (!)
near one of the screen hinges.

I think the race to the bottom has hurt all the manufacturers.  Other
than that though, the machine has been performing solidly for the last
few months.  So it seems it's a cheap and cheerful rather than a cheap
and nasty laptop.

The other option might be to look at Lenovo's offerings, there might be
some Superfish-ridden ones that sellers will be trying to offload dirt
cheap: the malware being easily removed with the Debian installer. ;-)

Regards,
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...