Re: How to boot without GUI

On 27/05/15 03:32 PM, Lisi Reisz wrote:
On Wednesday 27 May 2015 19:44:38 Sven Arvidsson wrote:
On Wed, 2015-05-27 at 08:37 -0700, Patrick Bartek wrote:
If it's enabled, CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE will halt X and all GUI stuff, and
drop you to a terminal.  Once you've installed the nVidia driver,
etc., just type startx.
If you use gdm or similar I think that usually just leads to the display
manager restarting.
Yes, that is my experience.  It doesn't get rid of X.

Lisi

They could hack /etc/X11/default-display-manager to comment out what's there or redirect it to /bin/true, then reboot and start from console only with the display manager disabled. Then, once they'd done what they wanted in console, they could hack the file back to uncomment or put back the original configuration. Just a thought.

Deb