Re: Qs re: capture card, composite input, devices

On 2015-05-18, Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 6:56 AM, Howard Eisenberger wrote:
>
>> On 2015-05-15, Kent West wrote:
>>
>> > I currently have an RCA-style cable (yellow-tip) going from the VCR's
>> > composite video output to the "Comp In" (yellow) input on the interface
>> > that also has the coax connectors. I also have a stereo RCA cable (red &
>> > yellow tips) going from the VCR's audio outputs to the red & white RCA
>> > jacks on the same interface card.
>>
>> I have an old PVR-150. Only ivtv0 in dmesg.
>>
>> [   11.271797] ivtv0: Loaded v4l-cx2341x-enc.fw firmware (376836 bytes)
>> [   11.468147] ivtv0: Encoder revision: 0x02060039
>>
>> This is how I use it.
>>
>> $ v4l2-ctl -i 2 ; sleep 2 ; ivtv-tune -tus-bcast -c3
>> Video input set to 2 (Composite 1: ok)
>> /dev/video0: 61.250 MHz
>>
>> v4l2-ctl is in package v4l-utils
>>
>> ivtv-tune is in package ivtv-utils
>>
>> $ cat /dev/video0 | mplayer -cache 8192 -
>> to watch.
>>
>> $ cat /dev/video0 > temp.mpg
>> to save.
>
> Thanks for the reply, Howard. You've gotten me farther along than I've been.
>
> Now I get a screen with a bottom 2/3rds blue background with a jagged top
> edge. Ten or so seconds after I turn on my video source, the top third
> fills with what kind of looks like large-blocky yellow lines of raster
> painting (lines which angle slightly downward).
>
> Might I ask what the commands you've provided do?

I found these instructions when I searched a few years ago, and
they've worked for me ever since. I'm certainly no expert.

In the file I saved with the instructions, I have this link,

http://blog.grantgoodyear.org/2010/09/using-mythtv-to-record-from-vcr.html

I see that it is still online and explains more than I can.

Hopefully this will help.

Howard E.