Re: Boot stops at fsck

On 17/05/15 01:53 PM, Victor Munoz wrote:
On Sun, May 17, 2015 at 01:08:31PM -0400, Victor Munoz wrote:
Hi, everyone. Last night I updated a lot of files in my sid system,
and today morning I cannot boot. Actually, it hangs after announcing
it will run fsck. I know that the partition was scheduled to a routine
check after 32 times (I receive a message before shutdown when that is
about to occur), however today the system says that it will run fsck
because the system was not cleanly mounted (which I do not understand,
because I shutdown the system from the command line last night, no
power failure or similar abnormal situation). Could this inconsistency
be related to my problem?

Anyway, is it possible to bypass the fsck at boot time? I am able to
reach the boot prompt by typing "c" at the boot menu, but beyond that
I don't know what to do. Googling has not helped me as it leads me to
other issues with grub and fsck which do not seem to give me ideas I
can apply to my problem.

I think that if I can at least skip the check, I could do some work,
check the filesystem manually and try to go ahead somehow.
Hi again. Now I've been able to skip the check, after learning that
adding the fastboot option at the boot command works. Of course, I do
not intend to avoid checks forever, so now the problem is that fsck
does not do anything (or doesn't seem to). Some issue with fsck? With
my filesystem? Any suggestion as to how to diagnose this?

Thanks again,

Victor
Boot from a live CD like systemrescueCD and run fsck manually.

Also, make sure smart monitoring is turned on and check the disk's health status.