Re: Remove subject

On 11 May 2015, Lisi Reisz wrote:

[snip]
> I hear that a _lot_. <shudder>  But I am hearing it more and more in cases
> like this above where only the negative makes sense.  When it is written,
> some are, I am sure, typos.  But I am equally sure that soemtimes when I
> understand the positive the negative is likely to be meant .
>
> > I certainly hope this
> > is not becoming a 'modern usage'! (Or should I say 'is becoming a
> > modern usage'?)
>
> Yes, you certainly should. ;-)
>
> Lisi

Since we're well off-topic already, I can't resist citing a rather
similar and increasingly prevalent negative usage that makes no sense.
I quite often read the phrase: "the importance of this cannot be
underestimated". It should, of course, be OVER-estimated, or
alternatively "must not be under-estimated". I think the two usages have
become superimposed, as it were.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell http://www.acampbell.uk