Re: Debian jessie netboot ignores preseed?

On 11/05/15 11:33, Stuart Longland wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just been trying to test deployment of images using Debian Jessie
> via PXE instead of Wheezy.
>
> We have a preseed script for deploying near-identical builds of
> machines for appliances.  The script was based off one I initially
> wrote for Ubuntu, which has been ported and extended to Debian
> Wheezy.
>
> Now I've downloaded today's netboot images, unpack them, and try
> to deploy with Jessie.  Checksums of relevant files (from
> ftp.au.debian.org this morning):
>
>> b027b65d867ab385a58ce6cff116d37bc006d3ec
>> /srv/tftp/debian-installer/jessie-amd64.tgz
>> 333240fa0d83c8ffa75177aa217aec9825a0cac0
>> /srv/tftp/debian-installer/jessie-i386.tgz
>
> obtained by running:
>> wget -O jessie-i386.tgz
>> http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/dists/jessie/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/gtk/netboot.tar.gz

wget -O jessie-amd64.tgz
http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/dists/jessie/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot/gtk/netboot.tar.gz

> No dice.  It won't even look at the preseed file.  It instead
> carries on as if nothing has been given on the kernel command line.
> Attached is the kernel command line that I'm using, as seen from
> the console of a VM.
>
> `wget` successfully downloads this preseed file when I manually run
> it.
>
> What am I doing wrong that causes the netboot installer to ignore
> me?

Hi Stuart,

I've PXE installed jessie, and I've preseeded jessie, but not at the
same time (I can't get PXE booting to work right in KVM, which is
where I do most installs).

Anyway - the difference I notice between your commandline and mine is
that you use "preseed/url=" where I only use "url="; I don't know if
that will make a difference. /var/log/installer/cdebconf/questions.dat
shows it as preseed/url, so probably not :-(

The other difference of course is that virt-install is downloading the
installer at runtime from a debian mirror
(http://ftp.nz.debian.org/debian/dists/jessie/main/installer-amd64/)
while you've just got it once - maybe that one happened to have a bug?

HTH,
Richard