Re: bad ABI version?

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
> Sven Hartge wrote:

>> My Magic Crystal Ball of Bug Seeing™ tells me, your system is dead
>> but does not realize that fact. Your system will fall back to
>> llvmpipe and seem to work fine (but a bit slow) but there will be
>> problems and programms might segfault. (#756236 and #784444)

> I am just chuckling over it.  Because I love hearing how Sid is really
> very stable and good for everyone!  :-)

> This one is going on the logs as yet another Sid even that isn't for
> the faint of heart.

If you know, how to pull yourself out of the mud, are able to file bug
reports, read bug reports und know how to use apt-listchanges and
apt-listbugs, _then_ you can use Sid. (Been doing that for over 15 years
myself.)

If one wants to use Sid, he/she should know about the following things:

- how to boot your system from a rescue medium (and have one ready)
- how to unpack a DEB without using the Debian tools and only with "ar"
- how to identify a broken library and revert to a working one
- be able to interpret linker error messages
- know where to find the relevant system log files and how to read them
- how to pin pacakges to a specific version
- know about snapshot.debian.org
- tracker.debian.org
- https://release.debian.org/transitions/
- how to rebuild a package using pbuilder/cowbuilder/sbuild
- debug packages and basic GDB usage
- reportbug
- generally understand how a Linux boot works

If one needs an always working system, she/he better stick with Stable
or Testing (as soon as it has cooled down enough).

Grüße,
Sven

--
Sigmentation fault. Core dumped.