Re: Penguin Wireless N USB Adapter TPE-N150USBL

On 05/04/2015 07:39 PM, Charles Kroeger wrote:
After using this adapter for a few months (18 months ago) I committed out all my
wireless lines in /etc/network/interfaces and stopped using it because it kept
breaking the connection at odd times.

I have to take a trip and this computer goes with me where I'll need to use WiFi and
so I uncommitted out my network interfaces file,  loaded the firmware (from the
think penguin help site) plugged in the adapter but nothing happens.

# The loopback network interface

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface

allow-hotplug eth0

iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid <my ssid, a  dlink-dir825>
wpa-psk <my passphrase>

I followed these instructions for the latest  firmware at the think penguin help
site for this adapter:

cd /lib/firmware

wget https://www.thinkpenguin.com/files/ath9k_firmware_free-version/htc_9271.fw
wget https://www.thinkpenguin.com/files/ath9k_firmware_free-version/htc_7010.fw

rebooted the computer

however..the adapter is still not connected

this after ifup wlan0:

# ifup wlan0
wpa_supplicant: /sbin/wpa_supplicant daemon failed to start
run-parts: /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/wpasupplicant exited with return code 1
Failed to bring up wlan0.

any suggestions to what might be missing here?

The thinkpenquin wireless N USB adapter bears a remarkable resemblance to the Alfa
wireless USB adapter:  :-)

https://tinyurl.com/n98oajh

What is the output from sudo lsusb?