Re: Pining for Qt 5.4

On Fri, May 01, 2015 at 08:28:26AM +0200, Markus-Hermann Koch wrote:
> Hi folks!
> I would like to use Qt 5.4 for its QOpenGLWidget. However,
> Qt 5.4 is still stuck in experimental. Being a user I now seem to have
> several options:
> What would you do?

Personally, I'd fire up a Debian docker container (or an Lxc container, or a
plain ol' chroot) and install the package from experimental in there. Since you
are developing an X app, one would then have some setup to do so that you could
launch X programs in the container and have them display locally.  Some of the
methods to achieve that might not work with hardware acceleration, which would
defeat the purpose in your case.

The reason I'd do that is so my base system stays 'clean' and I don't create a
situation where I have a dependency mess to tidy up, or accidentally break
something else (e.g. QT apps installed that require < 5.4 for some reason)

--
Jonathan Dowland